Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Eye Sight Blogging



I am definitely not a perfect blogger…. Yet. Maybe I will never become a perfect blogger. However, if I do ever blog or become a blogger I will definitely want to blog about my discipline, which is Optometry and if I don’t ever blog it would be interesting to know what is said about the Optometry field. Therefore I went around and found 3 different blogs either written by Optometrist or written towards the Optometry field.


Frames, this is how most Optometrist make most of their money.
http://www.eyecarepro.net/optometry-marketing/2012/09/27/how-optometrists-can-win-the-battle-vs-online-eyewear-retailers/ In this blog, the writer presents strategies on how to keep the patients from grabbing their prescription and taking it somewhere else where they can buy cheaper frames. Although it was pretty informative, it did not provide any links to where he got the information about patients doing such a thing. Also it would also have helped if he would have put links on the statistics of how that affects Optometrist. His blog title, I thought, was pretty catchy and it’s the reason why I went on to read about it.

The next blog I read is in this link http://anonymousoptometrist.com/. This blog also did not have any links. The writer gives a lot of information about how he/she feels about how Optometry came about and also states a couple of facts about the profession, but does not have any links to back his information up. I also think that there is a lack of identity of the writer in this blog. I do not know who he or she is. Even though I want to say that it leaves room for discussion, but I don’t really think there is any.

The last blog that I read was about a blog that talked about how to build a successful practice. This caught my attention because one day I plan to open up my own practice. (http://newsfromaoa.org/2012/09/27/successful-practices-connect-the-generations/). In this blog the writer informs the reader about the different types of patients one can have depending on their generation. I felt like it was pretty informative and I felt like I could relate to it because this is what I want to do in the future. This person also incorporates personal story in the beginning, which then makes me want to continue reading what he has to say. His blog catches the reader with the personal story in the beginning and then he continues with his point and main part of his blog. The only thing missing again is links that can help him prove his point on what he is trying to say.

 It was really interesting to look at all these blogs and find out how Optometrist create blogs and also others that write about the profession. I found it really interesting how many of these blogs did and did not incorporate many of the things that we need to incorporate into our blogs. 




4 comments:

  1. Even though blog is not a research paper, but citing other's word to show the credibility of your writing is something you should always consider as a good blogger. In my opinion, outside source is one of the things that a blogger should use in order to make a valid point. I am not saying that without outside source a blog would completely lose the interesting part, like what you have mentioned, personal experience and the blogger own opinion can spiced up the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how you say that you do not think you are a perfect blogger or you may not ever be a perfect blogger but you have such a good eye for what a good blog should embody. Optometry is a field that I am only familiar with because of near-blindness (maybe slight exaggeration. I know about as much as anybody who wears glasses or contracts but I never have looked any further than that in the field. I think by looking at different optometry related blogs you get an idea of how you can create a blog that meets the needs of people that are seeking information about the profession or even just being a customer of eye products. You seem to have a idea of where you want to go with the profession and I think that you can make others have that same passion if you show it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianto, the reason I think that it is important to have links is so that it provides more information and also back up whatever the blogger is writing about. Links are like resources when writing a paper, with them our point becomes stronger.

    Anjelia, I believe that most of the time people might not know about other careers other then their own because it might not catch their attention. I think many of us have basic ideas of what different professions are about, but when we are not interested in pursuing them then we do not make an effort into looking into the details that pertain to them. Some of these ideas on this post I already knew just because I have been learning them when I volunteer or when I went to Optometry camp. These blogs did provide additional information that I was unaware of, and reading them showed me how these writers are giving information on the field of Optometry to people that are interested to learn more about the career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you can analyze each of these 3 blogs to find their strength's and weaknesses. I like how you mentioned the title can be very important for a blog to attract readers. Also the importance of sources and referencing them within your blog, giving the reader satisfaction that he's spending his time worth while. I think a optometry blog can be useful source of information. It's a great place to create a discussion on the importance of the optometry. Because most everyone is interested in their vision, a blog could be a great way to educate readers.

    ReplyDelete